Now defined as 'Britain's favourite view' this was painted one evening in October 1967, after a spell of very dry settled weather, which makes even the wildness of Wastwater appear calm and benevolent. The counterpoint of low light and long shadows enhance the grandeur of Kirkfell and Great Gable at the head of the lake, whilst bracken on the rolling slopes glows orange and competes with the deepest blue-green of the water as it strikingly reflects ultramarine and turquoise back at us.
"There is a unity of spirit in the whole, and a beauty and grandeur of outline in the surrounding fells, which are seldom if ever found in combination elsewhere"
(English Lake District - M. J. B. Baddeley, p46)
Inner Print Sizes:
- Canvas - 767 x 520mm / 30.2 x 20.5 inches (Inner Print: 725mm x 480mm / 28.5 x 18.9 inches).
- Framed - 463 x 372mm / 18.2 x 14.6 inches (Inner Print: 317 x 208mm / 12.5 x 8.2 inches).
- Framed - 317 x 267mm / 12.5 x 10.5 inches (Inner Print: 172 x 114mm / 6.8 x 4.5 inches).
- Mounted - 434 x 344mm / 17.1 x 13.5 inches (Inner Print: 317 x 208mm / 12.5 x 8.2 inches).
- Mounted - 285 x 235mm / 11.2 x 9.3 inches (Inner Print: 172 x 114mm / 6.8 x 4.5 inches).
- Frame & Canvas dimensions may vary slightly due to the slight variations frame width.
- Please allow +/- 5% on all measurements to allow for human error when measuring, rounding & conversions. For an exact measurement of your desired frame, please contact us.
- Canvas Prints do include the frame and come as seen in the photo.
- Canvas frames may vary slightly in color. If you’re ordering multiple canvases or already have a canvas and would like the frame to match, please get in touch.
- Loose Print sizes are the size of the inner picture. All loose prints come with an additional white border, ranging from 30mm to 85mm depending on the print size. This can easily be cut off with a ruler and knife.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.