Unusually William chose to paint this view from the beside the road, as he would normally have preferred to be rather hidden while painting; but in this scene, the road plays an active part in the composition, leading one in towards the lake with Red Pike and High Stile above, and Rannerdale Knott signalling the hidden Buttermere around the corner.
"There are plenty of physical reasons for the satisfying character of this part of the valley. Here it is wide, being the meeting-point of several valleys, and the magnificent corridor of mountains that contains Crummock and Buttermere to the south"
(WHC - Lakeland Portraits, p54/55)
Inner Print Sizes:
- Framed - 538 x 437mm / 21.2 z 17.2 inches (Inner Print: 362 x 226mm / 14.3 x 8.9 inches).
- Mounted - 508 x 406mm / 20 x 16 inches (Inner Print: 362 x 226mm / 14.3 x 8.9 inches).
- Frame & Canvas dimensions may vary slightly due to the slight variations frame width.
- Please allow +/- 5% on all measurements to allow for human error when measuring, rounding & conversions. For an exact measurement of your desired frame, please contact us.
- Canvas Prints do include the frame and come as seen in the photo.
- Canvas frames may vary slightly in color. If you’re ordering multiple canvases or already have a canvas and would like the frame to match, please get in touch.
- Loose Print sizes are the size of the inner picture. All loose prints come with an additional white border, ranging from 30mm to 85mm depending on the print size. This can easily be cut off with a ruler and knife.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.