Painted when William was only 21 years old, this shows him with friends on the last climb of a day on Dow Crag above Goatswater in Coniston, in the summer of 1924. It also highlights his blooming talent for recalling what he so aptly described as 'rock-strewn amphitheatres'
"For this, I made a detailed pencil drawing in my sketchbook and recalled the tones, colours and figures at leisure in my studio. It was almost dark when we arrived on the summit of Dow Crags and our mood of achievement and wonder was immensely heightened and deepened by watching the last after-sunset glow over the sea to the west"
(WHC - Mountain Painter, p16)
Inner Print Sizes:
- Framed - 382 x 482mm / 15 x 19 inches (Inner Print: 222 x 306mm / 8.7 x 12 inches).
- Mounted - 356 x 299mm / 14 x 11.8 inches (Inner Print: 222 x 306mm / 8.7 x 12 inches).
- Frame & Canvas dimensions may vary slightly due to the slight variations frame width.
- Please allow +/- 5% on all measurements to allow for human error when measuring, rounding & conversions. For an exact measurement of your desired frame, please contact us.
- Canvas Prints do include the frame and come as seen in the photo.
- Canvas frames may vary slightly in color. If you’re ordering multiple canvases or already have a canvas and would like the frame to match, please get in touch.
- Loose Print sizes are the size of the inner picture. All loose prints come with an additional white border, ranging from 30mm to 85mm depending on the print size. This can easily be cut off with a ruler and knife.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.