This painting conveys that special feeling, where everything is at peace except for the sounds of a mountain stream, when wandering high up in the fells. Within this dreamlike moment of tranquility, the beck flows from Stickle Tarn beneath Pavey Ark on the Langdale Pikes, but sadly and rather ironically, it was painted just before the outbreak of the Second World War.
"After the ice had roughed out the main design it was left to the gentler tool of running water to add the finer detail, searching out the weaknesses in the hard volcanic rock, deepening and steepening the gills, and eventually producing the complex system of crags and gullies, hanging valleys, tarns, becks, and graceful waterfalls that we know as Langdale"
(WHC - Lakeland Portraits, p90)
Inner Print Sizes:
- Framed - 539 x 436mm / 21.2 x 17.2 inches (Inner Print: 367 x 247mm / 14.4 x 9.7 inches).
- Mounted - 507 x 407mm / 20 x 16 inches (Inner Print: 370 x 247mm / 14.6 x 9.7 inches).
- Frame & Canvas dimensions may vary slightly due to the slight variations frame width.
- Please allow +/- 5% on all measurements to allow for human error when measuring, rounding & conversions. For an exact measurement of your desired frame, please contact us.
- Canvas Prints do include the frame and come as seen in the photo.
- Canvas frames may vary slightly in color. If you’re ordering multiple canvases or already have a canvas and would like the frame to match, please get in touch.
- Loose Print sizes are the size of the inner picture. All loose prints come with an additional white border, ranging from 30mm to 85mm depending on the print size. This can easily be cut off with a ruler and knife.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.